1. Advertising encourages consumers to buy in quantity rather than
promoting in quality. Do you agree or disagree?
2. People throw things away and buy new ones instead of repairing them and
using again. What do you think may be the reasons for this? What problems might
this cause in society?
3. The quality of life in big cities is decreasing. What are the causes and
what actions should be taken to solve this problem?
4. Some people think family has great influence on children's development.
Others, however, believe that other things, such as media, have greater effects.
Discuss both these views and give your own opinion.
5. Some people think that if a police force carries a gun, it can lead to
higher level of crime in that society. To what extent do you agree or
6. Some people think that environmental problems are too big for
individuals to solve. Others, however, believe that the problems cannot be
solved if individuals do not take actions. Discuss both views and give your own
7. Some people who have been in prison become good citizens later. Some
people think that they are the best people to talk to school students about the
danger of committing a crime. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
8. Some people think teaching children different abilities together
benefits everyone; others think intelligent children should be taught separately
and given special treatment. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
9. Children's education is expensive. In some countries, the government pay
some of or all of the costs. Do the advantages outweigh its disadvantages?
10. Some people believe countries have moral obligation to help each other;
others worry about the aid money cannot get to the poor of this world. Discuss
both sides and give your own opinion.
11. Some people think having more TV channels is good because they will
have more choices, while others think it is not good because programs' quality
is lower. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
12. Some people think all lawbreakers should be put into prison, others
believe that there are better alternatives. Discuss and give your opinion.
13. The tendency to copy is shown in the popularity of fashion in clothes
and other comsumers’ goods. To what extend do you agree or disagree?
14. Some people think that news media have been strongly influential in
people’s lives, which is a negative development. To what extent do you agree or
15. People still value artists in the age of advanced science and
technology. What are the reasons? Are arts as important as science and